Teachers of Critical Languages Program (TCLP)
The Teachers of Critical Languages Program is a one-year program for Moroccan EFL teachers to teach Arabic to American students at primary and secondary school level. TCLP grantees are introduced to American teaching methodologies and are immersed in American culture and society for a full school year. While they improve their English language proficiency and promote understanding of the Arabic language and culture among American youth and local communities throughout the United States, they are teaching young Americans – and their families – about the nature of the Arabic language. The program includes TCLP-run workshops and professional development opportunities during the year.
TCLP teachers are cultural resources in their host schools and communities, may travel widely throughout the USA, and get to know Americans from all walks of life.
- Moroccan citizens currently residing in Morocco
- A bachelor (licence) degree or higher
- At least four years of teaching experience at the time of application
- A firm understanding of Modern Standard Arabic and strong English language skills, both written and spoken
- J-1 visa support
- A pre-departure orientation in Egypt
- Round-trip, economy class travel from Morocco to and within the U.S.
- A nine-day welcome orientation in Washington DC
- Accident and sickness health benefits plan during the program
- Living stipend
- Monthly housing allowance
- A demonstrated commitment to good pedagogy and a willingness to adapt to new and different methodologies
- Strong leadership potential
- Personal skills, attitude, and motivation that will enable them to function independently and succeed in an intensive academic year in the U.S.
- Commitment to continue teaching after the completion of the program
There is an online application for pre-selected public school teachers which is due in early January. Application link is provided in due time.
- October: Program announcement
- November/early December: applications are due through the Ministry of Education
- 1st week of January: Online application deadline
- March: Interviews
- Late June: Pre-Departure Orientation in Cairo, Egypt
- Late July: Departure to the U.S.
For more information please contact Program Officer Ahlam Daoudi.
Should I be a teacher in public sector to be able to apply for the program?
Yes, applicants must be public school teachers
What diploma should I have to be eligible to apply?
Applicants must have at least a B.A. in English
How many years of teaching experience should I have to be able to apply?
Applicants must have at least four years of full-time classroom teaching experience
Can a green card holder apply for the program?
No, applicants with a green card are ineligible to apply for any of our programs
Note on plagiarism
Applicants must construct their own answers for essays and all question in the application. Plagiarism will not be tolerated at any level and applicants who do plagiarize will be automatically disqualified and will not be able to re-apply in the future. If applicants want to cite material, they must use proper citation techniques and failure to do so will be detected.